PTA & BOM
Parent Teacher Association
There is an active and enthusiastic Parent Teacher Association (PTA) in St. Matthew’s, giving valuable assistance and support to the school. The purpose of the PTA is to enable parents play their part in ensuring the best possible education for their children through the Association’s programme of activities. The aim of the PTA is to:
- Inform and consult parents about the school’s activities and plans.
- Foster co-operation between parents, teachers and the Board of Management.
- Provide practical assistance to the school, including fundraising.
All parents or legal guardians of children enrolled in the school are deemed to be members of the PTA. A committee is elected on an annual basis to manage the operation of the PTA on behalf of the parents. All parents/guardians are encouraged to get involved through participation on the committee and by supporting the PTA events.
Find out more about the PTA including the objective, committee, officers, officer roles and operations: Additional PA Information
Click to View the: Constitution of the Parents Association
Board of Management (B.O.M.)
The Board of Management is responsible for the running of the school with the day to day management of the school undertaken by the Principal. The Board of Management meets regularly and is made up of 8 members. Each Board of Management serves a 4 year term. The current Board of Management are:
Canon Rev. Leonard Ruddock (Chairperson)
Cliodhna O’Reilly (Principal)
Trevor James (Patron’s Rep)
Olivia Walker (Community Rep) (Chairperson)
Alison Kane (Community Rep)
David McAndrew (Teacher’s Rep)
Ciaran Simms (Parent’s Rep)
Sara Jane English (Parent’s Rep)
The B.O.M. consists of:
- Two elected Parents’/Guardians’ Nominees (one father/guardian, one mother/guardian)
- Two Patrons’ Nominees
- One elected Teachers Representative
- The Principal Teacher
- Two members of the wider community who are unanimously co-opted by the elected/nominated board members with the aim of providing targeted expertise.
The B.O.M. has many duties but is chiefly concerned with ensuring the smooth and efficient running and upkeep of the school building as well as the safety and well being of pupils and staff. The B.O.M. is also responsible for the ratification of school policies and over-all management of the school in accordance with:
- The Rules for National Schools – the Department of Education and Skills (D.E.S.)
- Circulars and guidelines issued by the D.E.S.
- The Education and Education (Welfare) Acts
Successful school management is achieved through an inclusive partnership involving parents/guardians, staff and management. St. Matthew’s N.S. B.O.M. greatly values the support and cooperation of parents/guardians and staff who play a crucial role in the running of the school.
Responsibility for all monies collected on behalf of the school, plus the administration of funding from state sources, lies with the B.O.M.
The B.O.M. is also charged with responsibility of appointing school staff when a vacancy arises.Cano